JaniceOmega!

My photo
Alhambra by way of Long Beach, California, United States
About me: Everyday I am evolving, everyday growing, trying to conquer the fears that keep me from embracing the unlimited possibilities. I am working at creating a loving relationship with myself, making no apologies for who I was or who I am becoming. This is my life outloud.

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Men versus Women


On Sunday, August 23, 2009, my sis-in-love, Valarie, invited me to explore why I prefer men over women as friends, stating (and I paraphrase) that if I don’t resolve or come to an understanding I would end up rejecting an intimate/quality relationship with her or any woman who would want the same. Now mind you, this conversation doesn’t surface until I’m getting out of the car at the airport. We’ve just spent 4 days together—celebrating our fiftieth year on the streets of uptown New York and Pennsylvania—so why on earth would this conversation not surface until now?? If anyone could help me understand “why?” and help me process through my preference of men over women it would be her.

I told her I didn’t know why the preference. She said (as only she can), “If you did know, what would it be?” What the hell??? I had to repeat her question aloud: “If I did know, what would it be.” I guess she could hear in my voice that I didn’t know how to begin answering that question. So she asked another one (as only she would): “What’s the first thing that comes to mind?” “Hmmm.. . Attention!” I belted, and I continued to share that it could have something to do with not getting it (attention) from daddy. She agreed adding the lack of attention from my brothers as well. It didn’t sound or feel right to use this as the possible “reason” for my preference, and she noted that’s why I concluded that I didn’t know. She says often time we use that excuse (“I don’t know!”) when what we’re thinking doesn’t sound or feel like it is or should be the “right” answer. I agree. But I think we also use that excuse when the answer is so right that we don’t want it to be the answer—it’s too embarrassing or painful. Or it evokes an emotion we don’t want to overcome. . . takes us to a place in our souls that we don’t want to be.

As I got out of the car she made it clear that she wanted to stand for our relationship, and was going to call me on it. . . but only for so long. Then she would stop. . .stop if there is no reciprocity. I get it. I understand. But my fear? I don’t know that we agree on what the relationship will look like for us. What are the expectations? She knows that as a result of my experience through Landmark I’m transforming, but I’ve only walked in my transformation as “Janice on vacation”. I haven’t added work and church and my day to day routines yet. That piece won’t filter in until September. So what if I fall off the “transformation” wagon. What then? And now we’re leaving each other with only the phone to uncover it all. Damn.

On the flight home it was all I could think about. Why do I prefer men over women as friends?? I’m sure it does have something to do with attention—I guess I like having all of it on me. I get what I want (from men) and most times (in the relationship) I get to be right. I run my racket and getting what I want becomes the payoff (revelation gained from attending Landmark). And I can have an intimacy with men that I can’t have with women. Not sex, i n t i m a c y!! And that piece of it may stem from what took place in my childhood—I was taught how to be sensuous with a man—with my body, my hands, and lips—without engaging in sex. . . or rather intercourse.

And men like that attention. . . which in turn gets me their full attention. I’m able to hold hands and lay close and feel like or be treated like a female, a woman. I’m protected and adored. I’m hugged and loved on. So we both benefit. I don’t have to concern myself with engaging in or holding a stimulating conversation—which I feel is my weakness. Conversation becomes secondary. I capitalize on what I’m good at. . .and what I’m good at I can only do with men. . . so men become my preference.

With women. . . hmmm, women. I don’t know. I really don’t know. At this point Valarie would ask, “What’s the first thing that comes to mind?” And my response would be, “Competition.” But that’s as far as I can go right now. I can’t think about any more right now.

4 comments:

  1. Okay, Janice. I'm going to trying to engage this blog because I know how brave it is of you to work on this "out loud." I wish I could convey how proud of you I am that you "went there."

    First things first. I didn't bring it up until the ride to the airport because I didn't want to "spoil" the 4 days of wonderful we had in NYC and in Lancaster. We inched toward the conversation a couple of times as I told you how disappointed I was that I wanted to be closer to you over the years and that you chose someone else (those details I think I will keep silent here) over me when I didn't believe it was a good choice for you.

    But, then, what did I know. And, there were times when it seemed as if we were getting close, over the years, and you would pull completely away... I never, ever understood that. I remember the very first time I met you and you came into the living room on Taper Street and offered to get me a glass of water. I remember being dumbfounded, partly because I had/have no expectations that anyone should wait on me, and partly because I was already on my way to the kitchen to get my own water. When I said, "thanks but no thanks," you broke into this infectious grin and said, "I LIKE her." I felt like I had come home to a sister I never knew I had and I loved you instantly. And then you pulled away. I wanted to chalk it up to "just Janice" but it didn't make sense to me.

    And then these 4 days in August 2009 where I scooped you up from the airport in Philly and we braved the NYC rush hour traffic to make Wicked on time, and I got to introduce you to Kanya and Dionne and we all squealed and smiled and laughed and Kanya told you outrageous tales about meeting me for the first time... well, it was glorious; the way I had envisioned us for 30 years. I thought we would pick a weekend and end up in Taos, NM, or Portland, OR, or NYC or DC or on a cruise or ANYWHERE once a year or every other year, catching up with each other, ascending and descending into deep, serious conversations followed by raucous laughter over the silliest things or moaning over some of the best guacamole in the northeast while Rasta or salsa music blares from the speakers, you swaying and me watching you enter a zone all by yourself, but not disappearing. Friendship.

    So in August after getting a taste of that dream that had always been in my head I decided that we were both at a place where I could make a bid (a plea?) for you not to disappear this time. That's the "why" for the last-minute ditch effort.

    I guess I should confess at this point, that I also wasn't ready for rejection, if that was the choice (as in, "sorry chick; it's been fun, but don't get it twisted--I'm disappearing as soon as I get on this plane."). I'll blog about the men vs. women thing later, but this is where I wanted to start. I love you; I'm in it with you. I am your friend....With hope, your sister-in-love

    ReplyDelete
  2. On what I expect from friendships: I don't do shallow or trivial too well, even as I really like having FUN. But shallow is for acquaintances, people I know about (but don't know). For me reciprocity does not mean equality; people do relationships differently and with different capacities. But no one in the relationship should do ALL the reaching out, all the calling, all the emailing, etc. I did that for some years and the way I've cleared space for new friends is letting people who I thought were friends fall by the wayside simply by not doing all the work for the relationship. My major exception to this rule is with my children, who I will do ALL the work if it means I can stay connected with my grandbaby.

    But in other relationships, I quit calling; we didn't do movies or read the same books any more, etc. I've tried reconnecting from time to time with some of those people, but usually to no avail. I know as school gets in full gear for me and for you, and the day-to-day of our lives take over, we may not contact one another. But here's a gage for me: if I can somehow "find the time" for one distant relationship, but am "too busy" for another, what is the value of that "too busy" relationship to me? Do I really want it, or am I tolerating the occasional contact from that other person? I figured we would work on what relationship going forward means for us. I can recalibrate my expectations as a person helps me know what is/is not going to be, and I'll do my best to be as upfront and direct as I possibly can. As the friendship takes its own unique shape, so do the contours of expectations. Plus,intimacy comes in circles--there are the "close in" people; the ones who know the bodies are buried; and the people who are important for their own reasons but are ono the outer edges of my life. We will learn over the next couple of years where we are in each other's circle of friends. I hope these two posts helps and is a beginning.... With hope as always, your sister-in-love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. Thank you for being willing to hold my hand right through here with hope and honesty and faith and commitment and love. Thank you for challenging me. I get it. I hear you. Things are making more sense to me and I'm ACCEPTING it all. And I want you completely in my life. We are more than frends, we are family. We are sisters. I would be happy, overjoyed to meet up with you once (or more) a year to share life with you. And hot dogs. :)

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should call your friend Valerie...right now...just to say hi...or whatever...she's one of the good ones...xo

    ReplyDelete